Beloved Quilts for the Homeless

Friday, August 15, 2008

Still making quilts...still giving them away

Today I had the pleasure of my two young sons helping me hand-deliver 13 more quilts to the Somerville Homeless Coalition. We got to see Mark Alston-Follansbee, their Executive Director who came to our Beloved Quilts Gala in December. He's such a wonderful man doing such great justice work for people. His work is definitely worth supporting. So, you can always go over to http://somervillehomelesscoalition.org/ to learn more ways how you can get involved.

Once we were back in our carseats, my older son asks, "Mom, how do homeless people wash their hands before they eat if they don't have a home or a bathroom or a shelter with a sink?"

Wow. I was tempted to take him out of his carseat, go back into the Somerville Homeless Coalition and give my son the opportunity to ask Mark his question. Except Mark is on a time deadline doing the continual work of grant writing to keep their services running, and I didn't want to put a wrench into his grant writing during his last few hours.

So, I said, "Well, that's why it's a good thing to give a bottle of water to someone asking for handouts because they can use the water to drink or to wash their hands. Or maybe we can start giving out bottles of hand sanitizer."

OK, so that's probably not the world's best answer, but it's what I gave on the fly.

Our next sew-in is scheduled for September 6th from 12-6pm at the Ministry Center of the Cambridge Vineyard. For directions:
http://www.bostonvineyard.org/contactdirections/cambridge/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home